The TESLA thread. Fanboy or Short seller? Discuss.

spunj

Administrator
Jan 24, 2019
Vilification or Exaltation?

spunj

Administrator
Jan 24, 2019
I'm ambivalent about Tesla. I love their cars but I'm wary of the stock as a mid/long term hold. I do actively trade it though. I am long/short the stock via equity and options on almost a daily basis. I consider it a great stock to trade for those of us who love volatility.

I saw an interesting run-down on twitter recently. Under the #TSLAQ tag:

-No US Demand
-No European Demand
-No China Demand
-No Cash
-No Access to Cash
-$4B Accounts Payable
-Toxic Balance Sheet
-No Y
-No Semi
-No Pickup
-Has Criminal Investigation
-Has Twitter Sitter for rogue CEO
-Has patsy BOD
-Has massive exec departures
-Has Pumpers

Ok. Not so positive.

Now, with the cold winter snap setting in, new reports like this are appearing. (One would guess that many Tesla owners in the cold parts of the USA are going to start to offload their Model 3's.)

spunj

Administrator
Jan 24, 2019
To gear up for its move into electric vehicles, Toyota plans to make its own next-generation batteries in a new partnership with electronics giant Panasonic, and even sell them to other automakers.

spunj

Administrator
Jan 24, 2019
Porsche is going to give Tesla some pain:

Taycan buyers will receive three years of unlimited 30-minute charging at Electrify America locations, comprised of more than 300 highway stations in 42 states as well as more than 180 sites in 17 metro areas. Each location will have an average of five charging dispensers, with some having as many as ten.

spunj

Administrator
Jan 24, 2019
Oops. Is it starting?

Tesla seen forecasting first-quarter loss after Musk warning

Wall Street analysts expect Tesla Inc to forecast a loss for the first quarter when it reports results on Wednesday, having changed their expectations for a profit after Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk warned of a “very difficult” road ahead.

Hilarious fact for today: TSLA is rallying. $295

spunj

Administrator
Jan 24, 2019
There is $21.6 million put option trade on Tesla. Does this a front-runner of bad news coming?

Someone purchased 6000 $TSLA June $275 puts at $36.00 each.

spunj

Administrator
Jan 24, 2019
Tesla has enjoyed a near-monopoly on the high-end BEV market; the Model S sedan and Model X crossover have been the only options for many luxury buyers.
The Jaguar I-Pace and Porsche Taycan represent the first serious threats to Tesla's dominance of the luxury BEV market, though a host of others are in automakers' pipelines.
Both the I-Pace and Taycan compare favorably to Tesla's luxury models on all important levels, including price, range, performance, and quality.
Tesla is reportedly cutting back production of the Model S and Model X, ending the long-running narrative that these models were production-constrained.
With no sign of a model refresh, increasing competitive pressure, and significant near-term financial stresses, Tesla is poised to lose its leadership position in the electric vehicle market.

The Tesla Killers are Here

spunj

Administrator
Jan 24, 2019
It's 1/30/2019 - 9:41 p.m. PST - and TSLA's after-hours price is back down to $294. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's price action!